Saturday, December 8, 2007

Christmas cards and uncluttering gift ideas

A little less than 10 years ago, I had to answer that annual question that some people love to answer and other people hate to answer: what do you want for your birthday? I fall in the latter category.

I've always felt very fortunate to have all that I need in life at a given day, and as an apartment dweller, space is always at a premium. I decided to ask for an "experience", big or small. Something that wasn't a "thing." The idea wasn't well received. My sister took the challenge and got me two books: "Short Escapes Near New York City" and "Short Bike Rides in and around New York City". While books are technically things, the spirit of the idea was there. DW and I recently used one of them on a trip to Shelter Island and Mystic, CT.

That brings me this great series of Christmas season posts from Unclutterer: consumable gift giving.

2007 Unclutterer Gift Giving Guide:
(Contents, with direct links to the featured parts)

I really like the ideas of consumable giving (things that we need, will be used up and then don't take up space), though the idea of making them "gift-worthy" requires a little creativity.

And if you've got x-acto blades lying around your house, here are some great card ideas, via lifehacker: DIY Christmas Cards [lifehacker]
The evergreen card whispers in my ear: "I look easy, but you're going to pull your hair out trying to make one that looks as elegant as me." Game on, Mr. Douglas fir... Game on.

5 comments:

Mary Alice said...

PULEEZZE tell me that you found Mystic Pizza while in Connecticut!

Kitty said...

I really like the idea of not giving things that promote clutter. My parents are pack rats of a sort, so I've developed anti-bodies to it!

This xmas I'm giving a framed portrait I'll draw from a photograph (it's also a belated wedding gift).

My parents may get a couple tickets to a performance. That's a favorite gift of mine. Gets them out of the house!

Columbia said...

Mary Alice-
Yes, "DW" and I had "a slice of heaven" while we were there. :) I didn't see the movie until after we got back though. Personally, I found the pizza to be more memorable. ;)

Kitty-
DW and I both got each other tickets this Christmas -- 2008 Yankees (GC) and tickets to Les Mis (I've never seen). As I understand it, attending both involve a good deal of crying.

JACQUELINE E THURSTON said...

Yours is a very informative blog. Thanks for providing these wonderful content Thanks for the advice. You can also check Fathers Day Discounted Suits. Its also a great gift idea for dads out there this coming Fathers day.

Gift Ideas said...

I chanced upon to view your blog and found it very interesting. Great ... Keep it up!