Monday, November 24, 2008

Keeping your Math Skills Sharp and Your Waist Thin... or attempting to, anyway



Last night Columbia was jonesing for some cookies. Trying to please (appease?) my DH and avoid him running to Duane Reade to splurge, I checked out the cupboard. It occurred to me that a quarter batch of oatmeal raisin cookies wouldn't ruin our efforts at losing the last of the baby weight (8 1/2 months later...) or take too much time.

As any dieter knows, 1/2 an egg is one egg white. Making my own baby food for Pumpkin has taught me that 2 tbsps is 1/8 cup and 3 tsps equals 1 tbsp. And my former 2nd graders would have been proud to hear me realizing, If a quarter cup is one fourth of a cup then 3 of those would be one fourth of 3 cups! Math skills, I've still got 'em!

The batch made 9 cookies: 3 for both Columbia and I last night, and 3 for Columbia's lunch today. This is definitely a trick I'll use in the future... but hopefully not again tonight.


Photo used under creative commons license from Flickr user Ruthieki.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

recipe?

Columbia said...

Wow -- those look just like the cookies you made! (the whole milk tipped me off that it wasn't the real ones).

Oh, and math skills? You definitely have 'em!

JC said...

The best oatmeal raisin cookie recipe of all time is...


on the underside of the Quaker Oats lid. Their Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies consistently wow everyone. You can easily substitute (or add) dried cranberries, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and/or nuts instead of raisins.

Unknown said...

Hi,
My name is Caren.

I find your site http://ahomeinthecity.blogspot.com/ and the selection of resources very interesting.
I have a good credit card website that contains much useful information for your readers. There's a fine set of articles that reveal all pros and cons of credit cards, give tips how to reduce credit card debt and establish good credit.

If it agrees with your policy, I would like to place some links at your site.

Please let me know if you are interested via email caren@acclaimnetwork.com
Thank you for your time,
Regards,
Caren.

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

Now, see? And you thought you wouldn't need fractions after you got out of school. A charming story, JC. And quite an inspiration to dieters: Yes, you can enjoy treats. Just do it in moderation.