Saturday, April 14, 2007

Ask me about NYC

I haven't mentioned yet, but I really enjoy the simple pleasure of helping lost tourists. Despite their best efforts, there are a number of "lost tourist" signs:

  1. "the lost pair". One has their head in a map, the other looking around -- limited sharing of information.
  2. "The subway sign reader." This is funny to me, because "Wakefield bound XX train" means nothing to me. But if you're trying to get to the AMNH, then I can help.
  3. "The group with the upset alpha male." Sometimes it's wise to avoid this group, as alpha male may strike if he feels threatened. If necessary, talk to the oldest woman (the one with the map).
  4. "The Top 10'er." Most people are looking for NYC institutions, so that makes directions a little easier. I used to work near the Brooklyn bridge and not a day would pass without people standing by the subway holding a map and looking for a bridge (see "the lost pair"). For a long time I considered making business card sized maps to hand out or leave with the token clerk.
  5. "The Excuse me." Always the easiest -- they come to you and ask you for help.
Gotta love tourists though. They're usually the happiest people, happy just to be in the city. I sometimes think back to my first winter in the city, crossing the bridge for the first time, and walking EVERYWHERE. If you're planning to visit NYC or just have a tourism question, ask me in the comments. If I don't know the answer, I'll try and find out. It's a wonderful place to visit and live.

No comments: