Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Manhattan-Henge Next week

(Looking for July 2009 info? Click here)


Marie Winn, author of Red Tails in Love, reminds us that Manhattan-Henge is coming up. Two days a year the sun sets over NY in perfect alignment with the (30° off-kilter) Manhattan street grid. The sun appears to drop straight down between the buildings. Two winter days annually have the sun rising in the same fashion.

The first sunset is coming up next week. I saw this last summer (looking west on 79th street from the museum) and it was amazing.
  • May 28 at 8:10 PM
  • July 11 at 8:27 PM
Ahhh, the wonder of it brings to mind this lyrical ode:
Finally, at 7:37 early Wednesday evening as the sun was setting
in the Minnesota sky...
Out in the distance, on the horizon, it appeared to me like a vision
before my unbelieving eye...
I parked the car and walked with awe-filled reverence towards that
glorius huge majestic sphere...
I was just so overwhelmed by its sheer imensity,
I had to pop myself a beer.
Get out your cameras and find an open street, New Yorkers. And pop yourself a beer.

Link: American Museum of Natural History's Page on Manhattan-Henge

[photo used under the CC license. photo links to photographer]

No comments: